- Identified and interested people in underserved communities will be eligible for the Micro Farm Gardens training program on a scholarship basis
- GCM will sponsor installation and training for each site
- A portion of the produce grown will be gifted to the community
- A portion of the produce grown will be sold to local restaurants to pay wages to program participants
Where Do We Start?
Pacoima is known as “the projects” of the San Fernando Valley with scarce fresh produce.
Air pollution is rampant and needs natural ecorestoration to clean the air.
An urban garden in partnership with Mar Diego of Dough Girl Pizza is a great start.
St Joseph’s Center has opened 4 new permanent supportive housing projects. Each project has a green space earmarked for a community garden.
In collaboration with GCM Community member Karen Van Nuys, we want to create a garden for
their Pointe on Vermont project.
What is it?
- Pacoima Creator Kitchen Garden and training facility
- St. Joseph Creator Kitchen Garden
- Training for former foster youth, Joanna Cruz, to be our Farm Manager and Lead Trainer
- Programming on Farm Installation, Farm Growing, Nutrition, and Cooking
- Hiring and Training local urban farmers to manage projects around Los Angeles
- Documentary film production
- To turn 2,000 sq ft of common space at the San Fernando Gardens in Pacoima into Urban, Community Micro Farms
- Local businesses can sponsor micro farm sections to grow produce to make salads, salsas, hot sauce, pizza sauce and other items they have on the menu
- As the community interest grows we can expand the gardens throughout the projects
"A growing body of research points to the beneficial effects that exposure to the natural world has on health, reducing stress and promoting healing. Now, policymakers, employers, and healthcare providers are increasingly considering the human need for nature in how they plan and operate."
– Yale School of the Environment
“Ecopsychology: How Immersion in Nature Benefits
Your Health,” by Jim Robbins, Jan. 9, 2020
Join Our Newsletter
Sign up to receive email updates on our new projects announcements, updates, and more.